Friday, March 28, 2008

Fiber Arts Utopia

I made a pilgrimage yesterday, to a place I'd heard great stories about. A place of beauty and wonder... and glorious yarns as far as the eye can see.

Webs, in Northampton, Massachusetts.

If you are a yarn addict like me, and you are anyplace even remotely close to the area, you MUST go here. I'm not sure how much time I actually spent in there... it is easy to lose track of the time when one is surrounded by THOUSANDS of hanks and skeins of beautiful fibers... wools, silks, linens, cottons, bamboo, cashmere, alpaca and more... and more knitting/crochet/fiber books than I even knew existed, needles, hooks, notions, roving, looms, spinning wheels... Seriously. Fiber Arts Utopia. And big comfy chairs, which encourage you to linger, perusing books of patterns, etc, surrounded by little groups of people knitting and chatting. I had several pleasant conversations with friendly yarn-loving folks. I ended up purchasing some gorgeous sage-green cotton/silk blend yarn, and a beautiful deep purple wool/linen blend with strands of navy and rust, along with a book and new circular needles. I showed enormous restraint, I think! I tried to control myself, as I already have an overflowing yarn basket and several unfinished projects at home. I'm definitely going to go back, though! My trip to Webs also renewed my interest in learning to spin, something I've thought a lot about the past year or so. I need to sell some more stuff from my Renegade Stitches shop, so that I can save up for a spinning wheel!

Keep your eye on my Renegade Stitches Etsy shop, to see what I do with all this beautiful yarn!

2 comments:

UniqueNurseGranny said...

Sound wonderful.I am like that in a bead shop.

Anonymous said...

Oh my! It's a good thing I don't live close. I probably would have remortgaged the house!