Thursday, November 8, 2007

My "Nanny"

When I was a little girl, I spent lots and lots of time at my beloved grandmother's house. I called her Nanny, and she was one of the most special people in the world to me. One of my favorite childhood memories is of her giving me bits of stale bread, and sending me out into the yard to feed the birds. She had a lovely fenced-in yard, with nothing but woods behind it. I loved being out there, amongst the flowers and grass and trees, and I loved the way the birds would flock around to snip up the bread. Before coming back inside, I would always gather up as many dandelions as I could hold and bring them inside for Nanny. She would smile her big smile, and thank me and find one of her prettiest little vases to put them in, and then place the vase carefully on the kitchen windowsill.




This collage was inspired by my wonderful Nanny. It was created from paint, paper, vintage fabric and stickers on canvas board. The vintage floral fabric in this piece was from my grandmother's own fabric stash, which I inherited after she passed away.

No comments: