Saturday, November 10, 2007

Revelations...


I always wanted to be an artist. I've been making stuff since I was old enough to hold a crayon. Throughout my life I've explored all kinds of creative expression... drawing, painting, fiber arts, performing, writing, etc etc. But I never went to art school and I always had a "real job" so I never called myself an "Artist". I created things for me, because it was something I needed to do and I did eventually start selling my stuff at craft fairs. When I had my children, I gave up working "real jobs" and I started listing my occupation on various forms as "homemaker", which always made me cringe just a bit. Now, PLEASE don't email me about how being a homemaker is a real and valid job, and it's the hardest job in the world, blah blah blah. I know all this. I've been a stay-at-home Mom for almost 8 years, and although I LOVE the job of being a mom (I even homeschool my kids, so they're with me 24/7!) there was that little piece inside of me that said, "But I wanted to be an ARTIST when I grew up!" So, yeah, listing my occupation as "homemaker" always felt a little weird to me. Over the past 8 years I've still kept "making stuff" and I've been selling at craft fairs. I eventually went all official by starting Pink Kitty Designs. I began selling through boutiques as well as fairs, and for a little over a year now I've been selling my work directly online. So I had a little revelation recently, when asked my occupation. I make stuff, and people buy it, hence I am being paid to make stuff. Ones occupation is what one is paid to do. I am paid to create art. What is my occupation? I am an ARTIST.

I achieved my childhood dream, but it took me a while to realize it!

I am an artist.

No comments: